Environmental, Social and Governance
Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) has become a central focus within investment markets, and real estate worldwide. Pressure from end users, investors and government has positively caused a seismic shift in how we as real estate developers and asset managers think about the space we are managing and developing. Reducing both embodied and operational carbon emissions is crucial in reaching the ultimate net zero goal.
XLB has long held the philosophy of the importance of the workplace and the wellbeing of society.
We are no longer providing space for businesses to simply operate their businesses from. We are providing space for businesses and their staff to thrive, meeting their own ESG targets and thus ensuring that our assets best placed for both occupational and investment markets.
- Planet Mark Certification in progress
- 100% of developments currently in planning stages target BREEAM Excellent and EPC A/ A+ as minimum (over 1m sq. ft)
- Target 95% renewable energy in landlord-controlled areas by 2023
- BREEAM In Use Very Good achieved on 360,000 sq. ft of Grade A office space
- ActiveScore Platinum achieved on a 6,000 sq. ft amenity in Manchester
- Implementation of Equiem tenant engagement platform across office space
- An extensive and regular programme of wellness events including fitness classes; yoga; crafts classes; mental health awareness and food trucks
- Incorporation of extensive break out and common areas within existing and new developments
XLB as a company is proud of the reputation it has developed within the property industry. It is a reputation built on good relationships with all our stakeholders, with both investor partners and supply partners.
A significant part of this reputation is built on trust, trust in our policies and conduct and knowing that these are the cornerstones of our decision-making processes.
This trust is also built on our commitment to our Code of Conduct & Ethics, which holds our employees to the highest standards.
Capital Park, Cambridge, Car Port System
Nuveen Real Estate have committed further capital to responsible investment at Capital Park, with the provision of a solar car port system with 22 integrated electric vehicle chargers. The system will provide on-site renewable energy generation which will power both the chargers and the office buildings.
Over 1,100 solar photovoltaic panels have been installed as part of the system which will generate circa 450,350 kWh of renewable energy every year, leading to 114 tonnes of CO2e emissions being avoided annually. The forecasted energy generation will equate to a 23% reduction in operational carbon emissions, with 85% of the energy generated predicted to be used on site.
The solar car port system is a positive step towards achieving the site’s net zero carbon goals.